I think it’d be helpful to break it down into the following categories: personal, relationship and parenting and to try to come up with three solid resolutions or goals for each category. If you’re not big on New Year’s resolutions either, just think of this as an inventory taking exercise.
Back to our inventory. I’m doing this as I write. I’m going to take ten minutes right now to think about these three categories and come up with my list. Here it goes…
- Lose weight. (Everything is bigger in Texas is something I apparently took to heart when we moved here.)
- Get the Love After Kids Relationship Toolkit online course up and running.
- Be more social and open to meeting new people.
- Prioritize regular date nights.
- Go away together just the two of us.
- Make more time for physical intimacy.
- Set more limits with Emma.
- Have more one on one time with Eric.
- Don’t work on the weekends.
Why don’t you try it now?
Take 10 minutes to brainstorm and come up with your list. Then take another 5 minutes to be more specific and concrete with your goals.
Share them with your partner and/or kids if you feel up to it. You might want to censor some of them.
How can you hold yourself accountable in a way that feels supportive versus punitive?
Maybe you can put reminders in your phone?
Or, maybe you can try to implement the easiest one or two right away to get the ball rolling?
Good luck with it. Happy holidays and happy new year!