Privacy and private parts
Shame vs empowerment
It's so important as our kids start to discover their bodies and sexuality to welcome it all. If it makes you uncomfortable, it's your job as their parent to deal with your own issues and discomfort. If you don't, your issues will become their shame.
Tips for dealing with your kids exploring their bodies
- Normalize it by speaking to them in a calm tone and letting them know you understand it feels good and why they are doing what they are doing.
- Don't tell them something bad will happen if they touch themselves and explore their bodies.
- When they do touch themselves in public, gently remind them that it's something they can do when they get home.
- If you're uncomfortable, talk about it with your partner or therapist.
- Don't punish or threaten them for doing something natural and normal.